11.02.2009

Roy Lichtenstein

Halloween, for me, is a time to pay homage to my all-time favorite weirdos, murderers, movies, and artists - this year I thought to recreate a piece from one of my favorite modern day "Pop" artists, Roy Lichtenstein.. who's work is known my millions, but familiar to only a few.

I decided to recreate one of his most famous pieces - one that I relate to more than you could possibly fathom.

I chose Roy Lichtenstein's famous blue haired "Drowning Girl", as I saw it fit.

(click to enlarge)





American pop artist Roy Lichtenstein was best known for his colorful, large scale representations of comic book panels.

The style he sensationalized used “Benday Dots” a process which
is similar to Pointillism. Depending on the effect, color and optical illusion needed, small colored dots are closely-spaced, widely-spaced or overlapping. Magenta dots, for example, are widely-spaced to create pink. 1950s and 1960s pulp comic books used Benday dots in the four process colors (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black) to inexpensively create shading and secondary colors such as green, purple, orange and flesh tones.





Happy Halloween!